Winter is here, and what better way to embrace the season than by creating your own DIY faux snowballs?
This super simple craft is the perfect way to add a touch of winter wonder to your home, whether you’re looking for a unique Christmas ornament or just want to enhance your winter decoration game. I’ll guide you through the process of making these beautiful snowballs using common household items and a sprinkle of creativity.
This blog contains affiliate links. This means a small commission is earned if you make a purchase by using these links. The price you pay will be the same whether you use the affiliate link or go directly to the vendor’s website using a non-affiliate link. As an Amazon Influencer, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cold Outside, Cozy Inside
Today I’m excited to join some fellow bloggers in sharing all sorts of winter decor ideas. Thank you to Carol from Blue Sky at Home for organizing us with our wintry projects! You may have just come from Perfecting Places and seen all of Kim’s wonderful ideas for decorating for winter. Kim always has such creative ideas that inspire!
Welcome! I’m Missy and I’m delighted you’ve dropped in! Sonata Home Design is all about creative home decorating with color, pattern, and easy DIY projects. Our homes should reflect who we are and bring us joy in both big and small ways!
Growing up in western Nebraska, our snowstorms were epic!
The snow drifts outside our front door were so tall that we dug multi-level tunnels in our very elaborate fort!
It doesn’t snow quite like that anymore where we live. But I do love to occasionally throw some snowballs when the conditions are right.
And of course, we always love to take pictures of the latest snowfall!
Last year, I caught this photo of my husband taking an early morning snowy photo!
A fun way to decorate in the winter is by making your own DIY faux snowballs. Now, while they are not to be thrown like real snowballs, they definitely look pretty sitting on a front porch.
I even like displaying DIY indoor snowballs that remind me of the winter wonderland outdoors!
These snowfalls are incredibly easy to make and the glittering “snow” will almost tempt you into indoor snowball fights!
The Magic Ingredients:
To get started on your DIY faux snowballs, gather the following materials:
- Diamond Dust or Epsom Salt: This versatile ingredient will give your snowballs that authentic icy texture.
- Mod Podge: The ultimate crafting glue and sealer, essential for creating durable and beautiful snowballs.
- Small paintbrush or sponge brush
- Repurposed light fixture globe: Transform ordinary ornaments into magical snow-filled spheres. You can also use a clear glass ornament.
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Spray Adhesive
Where Do You Find Repurposed Light Fixture Globes?
You can find repurposed light fixture globes at various places such as thrift stores, salvage yards, online marketplaces like Etsy or eBay, and even local garage sales.
Additionally, consider checking with architectural salvage shops, where you might discover unique and repurposed lighting components. I found a shelf with dozens of light fixture globes at our local ReStore.
Also, keep an eye on community swap groups or online forums where individuals might offer or sell repurposed items, including light fixture globes.
If you don’t have access to salvaged glass light globes, try using clear glass ornaments. Your snowballs might be smaller but the icy process is the same and you will still end up with festive, sparkling faux snowballs!
How to Make DIY Faux Snowballs
The first thing you want to do is set up a clean and spacious work surface.
Anytime you work with materials like Diamond Dust, Epsom salt, or white glitter, there is going to be a little mess.
So lay down some old newspapers or a large tablecloth to catch any excess materials.
Take your clean glass light globe and give it a quick once-over with some rubbing alcohol to make sure it is free of dust.
Next, brush Mod Podge evenly over the entire outer surface. So simple!
Then, sprinkle a generous amount of Diamond Dust into a large bowl. Take the Mod Podge-coated glass globe and roll it in the Diamond Dust. This will give the globe a delightful bumpy texture reminiscent of actual snow!
Using a sponge brush, I pounced more glue onto the glittering globe and repeated the rolling process several times. This gives the “snowballs” the look of thickly encrusted white ice.
If you like, you can enhance the sparkle by adding white or silver glitter to add some beautiful shimmer.
Finish the project by spraying the globe snowball with some spray adhesive. This will keep the Diamond Dust on the globe where you want it!
Decorating with DIY Faux Snowballs
Not sure what to do with faux snowballs? Get ready to sprinkle a bit of winter magic throughout your home with our delightful list of creative ideas for decorating with DIY faux snowballs!
- Table Centerpiece: Place a cluster of faux snowballs in a decorative bowl as a beautiful centerpiece for your dining table or living room coffee table. Add a sprinkle of silver glitter for an extra festive touch.
- Snowball Garden Planter: Display your DIY snowballs in a garden planter or basket for an adorable winter accent. This makes for a quick and easy decoration that you can place in any room.
- Snowball Candle Holders: Nestle small LED candles into a bed of faux snowballs in clear glass containers for a cozy and safe candlelit ambiance. Perfect for adding warmth to your winter evenings.
- Snowball Vase Topper or Filler: Use faux snowballs to fill clear vases or apothecary jars. This elegant display adds a touch of winter to any room, and you can customize it by incorporating other seasonal elements like pinecones or berries.
- Snowball String Lights: Stuff string lights into your DIY snowballs to create a glowing winter display. Enjoy the snowy glow!
- Snowball Bowl Fillers: Add interest to decorative bowls by using faux snowballs as fillers. Mix in other wintry elements like pinecones or silver ornaments for a lovely and textured arrangement.
These winter DIY faux snowballs are a fabulous craft project to bring a little snowy fantasy to your winter home decor. With just a few simple materials, you can create beautiful snowballs that capture the essence of the season. The bumpy texture of faux snowballs is sure to add a touch of magic to your home.
So, whether you live in a climate with snowfall or not, you can create your own snowy winter with enchanting DIY faux snowballs!
Be sure to head over to White Arrows Home and check out Kristin’s winter mantel inspired by snow days!
Bluesky at Home – 7 Wonderful Winter Ways to Decorate Your Mantel
Hen and Horse Design – Best Ricotta Vanilla Challah Pudding Recipe
Masterpieces of My Life – How to Brighten Your Home in the Winer Months
Perfecting Places – Cozy Winter Ways to Decorate Your Home
Sonata Home Design – How to Make DIY Snowballs for Your Winter Decor
White Arrows Home – Winter Mantel Inspired by Snow Days
Don’t Forget to Pin It!
Pin the image below to your boards on Pinterest (just click the Pin button in the top left corner). You can also follow along with me on Pinterest!